Thursday, July 15, 2010

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Having neighbors is an interesting thing.  It is almost like family: you really want to like them, but they are always there, and can be annoying, and very interesting.  Over the past few months, we have gotten to know some of our neighbors. 
When I say "know" I don't mean in a deeply personal way.  They all pretty much keep to themselves, but are very nice.  When the kids held a lemonade stand, so many neighbors came over to buy lemonade, it touched my heart.  But being that it is summer, and our windows are open a lot, we hear all sorts of stuff from the houses that surround us.  The other night, at the house across the street, the teenage son was fighting with his parents.  He called his mom a bitch, then said he was running away, only to apologize 2 minutes later and go back into his house.  But the people on the opposite corner from us are definitely the most interesting.  They have about a million kids (or is at least seems like that) and they like to shout at each other every evening.  Almost every night, we hear the mom or dad yell, "Get your asses inside this house right now."  And they also like to use the "F" word.  A lot!  They did, however, buy $2 worth of lemonade from my kids, so I try not to judge! 
Our next door neighbors are nice.  My kids love to peer through the fence and just stare at their kids.  I hope they don't think my kids are weird . . . .

1 comment:

Jen said...

You never know who your neighbors are going to be! We live on a corner and only have one neighbor on the side of us (who is great!) so it makes life easier.