Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finally!!

We are finally moved in and finally have Internet, TV and a phone. And we bought a house! It is a great old house that I fell in love with, and was lucky enough to get to purchase. In this economy, you would think that we would be able to buy any house without the worry of other people wanting the same house. I found the one house here that everyone wants. We looked at it before it was listed, and thought we would let it sit on the market for a while. This plan did not work since 2 days after they listed it there was an offer in on the house. So we had to put in our offer pretty quickly. After our offer came in, a 3rd offer was also presented. Needless to say, we thought our chances of getting this house were pretty slim. Our offer was rejected, and we began to look at other options. A few days later we got a call back from the realtor, and they had changed their mind and decided to accept our offer! I don't know how that happened, or why it happened, but I am pretty grateful right now that we are moved in. I think the house is beautiful, and the street seems very nice, with plenty of kids. There are, of course, some trashy neighbors, but that happens everywhere. Here are some things that I have noticed about the country: 1. It smells. Our rental house was surrounded by farms. When the weather got warm, there was this awful smell in the air. I am familiar with the cow smell, but this was different. It reminded me of blue cheese mixed with Parmesan. It was a horrible, pungent smell. I finally asked a friend of mine what it was, she said it was fertilizer. It was the worst smell. Luckily, the new house is located in town (or in the borough) and I don't notice the smell. I thought country air was supposed to smell good, but I would rather smell exhaust than that funky smell. 2. Speed limit means nothing. People drive as fast as they want, limit be damned. We never see cops anywhere, although I know the exist. 3. Shopping is very difficult. I miss the convenience of driving down the street to Nordstrom. I am however, saving a lot of money. This post is getting rather long, so I will save my IKEA story for another time.

1 comment:

Jen said...

So excited for you and your family! That's a funny description about the smell - yea I don't think I would enjoy the smell of cheese out my window either!