Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Puppy Fever

Everyone I know seems to be getting a puppy.
There are new ones almost everyday when I pick up the kids from school, and many of my friends have been posting on Facebook about the new canines they have added to their homes.
Rocky and I have talked a lot over the years about getting a dog, but there was always something preventing us (either we didn't have a yard, or we had babies, or toddlers, etc.).  
Now we have a decent yard, and our children are a bit older (with no more on the horizon).
Perhaps now is the time.
We have gone back and forth on the kind of dog we want to own: Rocky wants a huge dog, I prefer a smaller, more manageable size.   
But no matter what I say, he really wants to pick the breed.
Since he has given in to us owning cats (which he hates), I guess I will give in on the dog choice.
For about 2 years, he has really wanted a Cane Corso.
I can hear you all saying, "What?  Is that even a real dog?"
Yes, it is.  It is an Italian Mastiff.
(I told you he wanted huge.)
I have done extensive research on these dogs.
Yes, they need EXTENSIVE training and socializing.
Yes, they need a firm hand.
I have gone back and forth over this for a while, but do think we could handle it.
However, last night after the dog show, he seemed to waver.
He actually seemed to doubt whether that was the dog he really wanted.
(And after I have found a somewhat local breeder with 2 litters expected this year).
So now I am back to researching breeds to see which would be best.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

We grew up with a corgi (that had the identical coloring of a German Shepard) and we LOVED it, she was not too large about 35-40 lbs. She tons of energy and was a strong dog. She was a herder dog, so she she helped herd hamsters when they got, as well as kittens we had. Most of all she never had a mean streak.

Nici said...

I suggested a Corgi, but Rocky vetoed that one. I think we have decided on a Gordon Setter.