Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Silver Lining

Instead of dwelling on all the things in Utah that I will miss, I have been making a list in my head of everything I am looking forward to in our move east. I am very grateful for friends and family so close, but I have to look forward to our new adventure. Here are some things I am excited about experiencing next year:
1. Clean Air. After these past couple of gross, hazy days, I am very excited to be somewhere where the air quality is not a concern. Small town, less pollution = healthier Caden (I hope).
2. NYC. I have always wanted to visit NYC during Christmastime. I want to see the tree in Rockefeller Center, maybe see the parade, or the Radio City Music Christmas show. We will now have the chance to see this.
3. Washington, DC. We will be able to show the kids so many great things. Rocky has never been there either, and I am glad he will be able to explore as well.
4. Schools. The school system in our town is one of the best in the whole country. I will be excited to get the kids out of the over-crowded Utah schools, and into one where they actually spend money on the students and have the staff to teach.
5. Traditions. I am excited to create our own family traditions. I have spent every single Christmas and Thanksgiving with family. And I have loved it. But now I am excited to start my own traditions with my own family. It will be hard, and I will miss my family a lot, but it is about time I started my own traditions.
6. Family. Not my parents, but my own little family. When we lived in Denver, we acted much more like our own family, instead of someone else's kids. When we are constantly surrounded by our family, I feel that Rocky and I act more like our parent's kids that like and individual family like we should. I look forward to growing closer to my husband and to our children.

4 comments:

Jess said...

While the struggles that brought you to this decision are frustrating, I must say I am so excited for you guys. It was interesting that you never really got rooted here in Utah and now this. I guess things truly do happen for a reason. I am bummed that we did not take advantage of your time here, that was dumb! But you have some really great reasons to be excited for this new adventure. Best of Luck to your adorable family!

cher said...

Great post Nici. Although I don't really have the option to experience what you will, I've always kind of wanted to live away from all family for just the reasons you've mentioned. Family identity, traditions, and non-west living experiences for you kids.

Anyways, I'm almost surprised at how bummed I am that you're leaving (you know, for the amount of time I hung out with you.) I always love hearing what you have to say, love your fashion sense, and I think you are absolutely stunningly beautiful.

Ok. Now that I sound like a stalker, I'll sign out. Let me know if you need any help over the next few weeks, k?

Julie said...

What a great list - I am really excited for your little family, and even jealous you get to experience a decent school system! What an adventure for you all - you'll be missed.

Nici said...

Thank you everyone! Luckily, with the great technology that we have, I will still get to keep in touch easily through this blog, and through facebook. Cheryln, you don't sound like a stalker! Thank you for thinking such nice things of me!