Friday, May 14, 2010

Single Ladies Controversy

I know this has been on the news, and it popped up on my AOL news.  I just can't NOT comment.  Here is the video for those of you that haven't seen it:



These girls are INCREDIBLE dancers, I don't think you can dispute that.  But they are about the same age as my daughter.  There is NO WAY I would have allowed her to wear a costume like that.  Even some of the dance moves I found a little inappropriate for 7 year-olds.  Do we really need to teach them to bump and grind?  Won't they learn that for themselves at some college party when they are 12 years older?  Perhaps the dance moves wouldn't have seemed so provocative had they not been dressed like Lady Marmalade.   
Have I become ultra-conservative?  Would any of you be comfortable letting your 7 year old perform like this?

5 comments:

Jen said...

I definitely agree with you! They are only little for a short time and too bad that they have to learn about all the junk out there.

SandGs Mom said...

i've been working on this routine with gracie for weeks. I don't who looks better doing it, me or her. :) HA HA HA HA HA!

The Fergy Bunch said...

If that was may girls after reaming the instructor for putting that dance program together & pulling my daughter from the studio. We would have several talks and FHEs on modesty.

Jess said...

It is not just you. That is sad. Really sad. Sorry, maybe it is just me, but not even the dancing was that incredible. The music was too fast for their little feet. It looked like a big mess in my opinion. I would say that I am glad to have boys but actually it just makes me sad that this is the selection of girls they will soon be considering. Their parents should be embarrassed.

Jules said...

I totally agree! Talented, but completely inappropriate. When I saw the video on the news, my jaw dropped - literally fell onto my chest. They may as well be in a stripper pole class! Poor things.