Wednesday, August 31, 2011

School Days

We survived the first 2 days of school.
You may not think this is something to brag about, but after Ciara's first day experience, this is definitely something I am happy about.
I was worried more about Caden, being that it was his first day of Kindergarten.
He did great!
Walked into the building without so much as a backward glance.
I, on the other hand, was wiping away the tears as I made the long and lonely journey back home.
After school, I came to pick up the kids and asked how their first day was.
Caden said great!  
Loves his teacher, friends, lunch, recess, everything!
Ciara said terrible!
I was shocked.  
What could be so horrible?
Little did I know . . . .
There is a certain student in her grade.  I will call this student M.
M was disruptive, rude, and just plain awful.
Apparently, M threw a pencil box at the teacher's head, kicked and hit her, stole her scissors, attempted to cut the students, and cut the teacher.  I was also told that the teacher needed to get stitches.
The principal was called up to the room, and another teacher came in to remove the rest of the students out of the room while they dealt with M.
M has since been suspended from school for a few days, so yesterday was a really good day for Ciara.
I did go and talk to the guidance counselor to find out what will happen.
I don't want my daughter to have to deal with this throughout the whole year.
If M's behaviour doesn't improve, they can remove M from the school completely.
But at what point do they do that?
If I get a Dr's note stating that this situation is stressing my daughter out, I can have her put in an other class.  But would it stress her out more to switch classrooms?
I guess for now, I will be comfortable with the fact that M will NOT be back in class today, that the Principal will be closely monitoring the class, and that if it gets too bad I can fight to switch her teacher.
A lot of parents were talking about it yesterday at pick-up (whose kids were even in the class) and it just made me laugh a little to think that my daughter's first day will probably go down in elementary legend.  People will be talking about this for a LONG time.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Ok, What on earth made the kid act like that?? What did M's parents say? Were they even there? If MY child did something like that, I would be standing at the door to apologize to everyone!! I'm so sorry Ciara's day did not go well.