Friday, June 7, 2013

My Mormon Unicorn

By now, most of you know that I have moved a lot in my life.  The longest I have stayed in one place is 5 years.  So I am used to the packing, unpacking, leaving friends, and meeting new one.
One thing I am NOT used to is people leaving me.
This does not happen to me.
At least, it didn't.
Until now.
My friends just keep leaving me.
On Monday, my PA BFF leaves for CA.
Which just basically sucks.
Replacing her is impossible.  
Mormon's are a pretty conservative group (to say the least), and when you aren't conservative yourself, you can feel a little out of step with everyone else.
She was really the first liberal Mormon I have met and connected with.
I have connected with many of the conservatives as well, and cherish my friendships with them. 
As do I cherish my friendships with my non-Mormon friends, liberal and conservative.
But finding someone like her has been like finding, well . . . . 
a Mormon Unicorn.
I know that finding another one is next to impossible.
It is hard to find someone who understands what we believe, but who also leans to the liberal side.
And I think people know that I am having a hard time because they keep coming up to me, and with the sympathetic head tilt, say, "How are you doing?  Are you OK?'"
So, instead of wallowing in my grief, I am going to take a proactive step to thwart my depression.
I will be accepting applications for a new PA BFF.
One of the main requirements is that you are not allowed to move for the foreseeable future.
You also have to have a sense of humor.
I will be creating an application for this, so just contact me if you are interested!

No comments: