Saturday, June 21, 2008

Best of Times, Worst of Times

I am going to start with the worst.  
Zoe, my cat, died yesterday.  I can't actually say the words, but typing them seems to work.  I finally stopped crying, but thinking about it makes the tears start again.  I know, some of you (probably those who do not have pets) are thinking, it's just a cat, what it the big deal?  But those of you that have had pets before might understand a little more.  I got Zoe 8 years ago from a shelter.  She was beautiful, and so terrified to be in the cage they had her in.  That is how I picked her.  She then hid under the bed for the next 2 months, and very slowly she started to like me.  She was always weird.  She didn't like very many people, and having babies really freaked her out.  But she always slept with me in bed.  Very early on, she discovered that Rocky doesn't like her sleeping with him, so she was very careful to stay on my side.  She was not a kitten when we got her, so as of yesterday she was approximately 12 years old.  She started to have litter box issues, and by that I mean she was peeing all over the house.  I had taken her to the vet a few times, each time discovering a urinary tract infection, or crystals in her bladder.  I switched food, she has been on antibiotics, but it still didn't clear anything up.  We had tried retraining her many times, but nothing seemed to work.  So yesterday, at our appointment, the vet said the only other option we have is to put her down.  I knew that the rest of the family was in favor of this, so there was no one else to consult.  I was the one who was holding out for a miracle, but when the vet said that was the last option, I had to say ok.  I did stay with her for a while.  I wanted to stay with her until it was done, but they couldn't find a vein (apparently hers were smaller that normal) so I finally opted to wait in the lobby until it was over.  Then they came and got me, and I said goodbye.  Now everything at home makes me think of her.  I had to shut the door where all her stuff is, and I keep waiting to hear her unmistakable yowl.  But it is quiet now.
OK, I need to move on to the happy stuff.  Ciara's dance recital was this past Thursday, and it was that cutest thing!  She wasn't stage shy, but seemed to have such a great time up there.  The whole school did such a great job, and the costumes were all gorgeous (Ciara's class had one of the best costumes).  Having done many recitals myself, I can really appreciate how much organization this school has.  It only lasted 2 hours (in my day, our recitals lasted over 3 hours, sometimes bordering on 4) and the students were all over the place.  Here, I dropped Ciara off an hour before, and then I pick her up when it is all over.  They have snacks for them, and activities and games.  She said she had such a great time, and wants to do a recital again.  I am already looking forward to next years! 
Here are the girls watching during rehearsal.  From the left: Briley, Ciara, Maren, Anna and Emma.
Here is Ciara before the recital.
After the show, with Mom and Dad.

4 comments:

Beebs said...

Ciara looked so cute! And it was darling! I'm sorry about your cat. That is tough! Here's a big hug for ya!

Monica said...

I loved our costumes too! I think all of the girls where absolutly darling!

I'm sorry about your cat too. We don't have a cat now (husband is allergic), but I did when I grew up and it's hard to seem them suffer. I'm so sorry!

Natalie Jo said...

ok. i waw totally crying. we had a cat for years. his name was ranger. ask rocky, he used to torment him. i was the one who decided when it was rangers time. it is so hard. really hard. good luck. i will get easier. and your ciara is darling! our dance recital is tomorrow. i can't wait to see what happens with savannah!

Jen said...

I am so sorry about your cat. I know how much a member of the family a pet can be. In fact, Tim had a dog growing up for years and we even put a bow tie on him for our wedding reception!

On a happier note... weren't the girls darling. I couldn't have been happier...it was all worth it!