Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cleanliness

So, Ciara's fever went away for a few days, and now is back. This is making me worry. My Dr. isn't in today, so I am going to wait until tomorrow (I could see another Dr. but I would have to take her in again. If I wait for our regular Dr, he may be able to just give us a prescription over the phone. Plus, he is our neighbor, and I like him, so I will wait). This is just really starting to bother me. Why has she had a fever for so long? Then all sorts of awful things start to run through my head. OK, I am sure it is just some simple thing. On to my real topic: house cleaning. For those of you unfamiliar with my family, I grew up in a super clean house. My mom is kind of a neat freak. Well, not just a neat freak, but a CLEAN freak. My sister has inherited a form of this, as have I (but I am much more relaxed about it than any of them). I understand that most people are not as clean as we are in my family, but I continue to be surprised at how cleanliness has become passe (meaning not very popular). I am not going to site those people that I am talking about, so don't ask if I am talking about you specifically. Every time I go over to a new person's house, I am always a little shocked at how not clean things are. And no, I don't go through the house with a white glove looking for dust. Usually, dishes are not done, food crumbs are everywhere, and carpets are stained. I will give two examples of people who do not read this. Example 1: An old friend of mine had so much stuff in their house that you could hardly move. Laundry would pile up (in the living room, no less), and there was just STUFF everywhere. Example 2: About a month or two ago, I went to a party at another person's house. The carpet was covered in dog pee stains. And they were very obvious stains that no one had even bothered to wipe up. It really grossed me out. I was afraid to walk on the carpet. So, is it just me? Am I being too hard on people? I promise, I will still like you and be your friend if you are messy. I am just wondering where have all the clean people gone? Is cleaning not cool now? Am I a nerd?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I am SOOOOOOOOO with you on this one. I have a hard time with this as well. I am particular about keeping a clean house...I let toys and stuff slide for a little bit...but always clean at nap and bed time. and I know people that are that way too...how on earth???

Monica said...

I'm with you too. I NEED a clean house! Things are much harder with Brooklyn-she destroys everything everywhere!!!

I'm so sorry about your kids!! I really hope they get better before Christmas. Wrong time of year to be sick!!! You are crazy busy...but if you're like me, I usually function better when I'm busy. I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!!

Callister said...

My mood depends on the cleaniness of my house. If it's a mess, I'm a mess. One of my close family members lets their huge dog in the house daily and it makes me nauseous. It's not only gross but unsanitary! On top of that, when we go home we take a million little dog hairs with us. I was so glad when their small dog died because he had little dog syndrome and would pee ALL OVER to mark his territory. Disgusting. Another family member lets laundry pile up to the ceiling in the laundry room and all over the bedrooms and it makes me wonder if that's the reason her kids are so sick all of the time. Cleanliness is vital to good health.

Anonymous said...

I Hope that my child, looking back on today,
Remembers a mothers who had time to play,
Children grow up while we're not looking,
There'll be years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So, hush now cobwebs, dust - go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.