Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pacifier Issues

I don't know what it is about today, but it has been the worst day. There isn't one thing that I can pinpoint that has gone wrong, but things just keep adding up. My biggest problem is Caden sleeping. He has been waking up at 5 or 6 every morning. For some, you may think that that is just what kids do. And yes, some do. Not Caden. This started when we took away his pacifier. He used to sleep in until 7:30 or 8. It might not be so bad if he weren't so tired, but he is exhausted, and therefore a total grump. He also has trouble going to sleep. Before his "binky-ectomy" (the medical term for removal of the pacifier), we would put him down and he would stay in bed. Now, he gets out of bed at least 4 times at night, and during naptime. We cannot get him to stay in bed. Punishment doesn't seem to motivate him either. Again, this wouldn't be such a problem, but he is just so tired, and he cries all day long, and gets mad at everything. I miss my sweet, good natured boy. I am breaking down right now and am going to go and get new pacifiers. This has got to stop. Although part of me is worried about bringing back the binky. Is this the wrong move? Or will he just eventually outgrow it? I know that he will have to give it up sometime, but I don't think now is the time. He only uses it for sleeping, and it stays in the crib. I guess I am just lost with this problem. Ciara didn't go through this. She was younger than Caden when we took hers away, but she didn't seem to use it as much. She usually held it in her hand while sleeping, and not in her mouth. Caden always has it in his mouth when sleeping. I am seriously pulling my hair out, which is why I have decided to cave. He needs his sleep, and I want my happy son back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww honey....that's so hard. I dont have any answers for you - Lauren is a thumb-sucker and Lord only knows how we'll break her of that - But I do sympathize with you having a tried, grumpy child. Poor baby is just overtired, and I'd probably be doing the same thing as you are right now!! You're a great mom and we do all these things by trial and error! :) Hang in there!

SandGs Mom said...

cut a tiny sliver out of one to start with. And who cares if he has a binky anyway, as long as he's not taking it to church, school, my house -- etc etc. :) I love caden even when he is grumpy and steals all my "wackers"

Nici said...

Well, I gave it back, and he is doing much better. But now he is sick. Poor kid.

Jen said...

A binky isn't a horrible thing for a kid to have so if it makes him that happy I think it's worth your sanity!