Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eat Your Veggies (and Cookies Too!)

Rocky think I am a little strange, but I am so proud of our garden!  I have to post pics of it for you to really appreciate it.

These plants were supposed to be bell pepper plants.  After they started producing peppers, I noticed that they are NOT bell peppers.  After some internet research, I decided they were banana peppers.  Then we ate some.  They are NOT banana peppers.  I have now decided that they are Hungarian yellow wax peppers.  They are spicy.  And I have six of these plants that are starting to produce peppers like crazy.  If you want some, let me know!

We also have TONS of tomatoes.  I, personally, hate tomatoes.  I am apparently going to be making lots of salsa this summer.  What else can I make with tomatoes to can?

Caden insisted on being in a picture.  Next to him is our gigantic zucchini plant.  This monster started out as a sickly looking leaf-looking thing.  I had no idea it was survive and get so big!  I have spotted 2 zucchini so far, with many other flowers budding. 

Our lovely broccoli plants are huge!  We have enjoyed eating our fresh broccoli.  I will be sad when they are finally done.

A sample of they broccoli we ate from the garden.

Caden really wanted to take a picture of his sunflower.  He grew this himself from a seed.  He is very excited to see it get taller than daddy.

With all the veggies starting to produce, I have been thinking of recipes and cooking a lot lately.  I have heard it said that you are either a baker (cakes, cookies, pastries, etc.) or a cooker (main courses, etc.).  I have decided that I am a baker.  I do enjoy cooking, but I do that because I have to.  Baking I do because I really enjoy it.  We would survive if I didn't bake, not so much if I didn't cook.  Rocky is complaining that I am making him fat with all the baking, but I can't help it!  There are 3 three-layer chocolate cake recipes that I am just dying to try my hand at, but I am waiting for autumn and cooler temps.  (I can't really bake in the summer, and I am missing my hobby!)  Does everyone identify themselves as a baker or a cooker?

5 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

I want to be a baker, but I am a better cooker. Also, with our tomatoes we can, diced tomatoes, salsa, homemade spaghetti sauce, & tomato juice. Is it only you and the kids coming in July or will Rocky be joining you? We have it planned to go to dinner with Joel this Friday, but if Rocky will be here at the end of the month we will postpone the meal.

SandGs Mom said...

Things to do with tomatoes: tomato soup. cubed/diced tomatoes that you'll add to chili, soups, sauces, etc. And salsa, you can't eat enough salsa. Doesn't caden love tomatoes?

Jen said...

Wonderful garden! It is beautiful - I can see why you wanted to post pictures. And for the record, I am definitely a baker.

Jess said...

I am a cooker. I might like baking more if I were good at it! Lovely garden. Everything looks delish! Along with salsa you could can Tomato soup, Italian strewed tomatoes, V8 juice, and spaghetti sauce with tomatoes. You would need a sieve (sp?) for the soup and V8 to strain it though. The spaghetti sauce and salsa can be made VERY easily with a packet of Mrs. Wages. All you do it add the tomatoes and can! I know it feels like cheating but it makes things so much easier and tastes great too.

Monica said...

Hey Nici! How are things? How is Pennsylvania? I am quite jealous of your garden...ours isn't so great this year...but that's our fault-you reap what you sow!

Utah Dance put on a great production...but they always do. We miss having dance with everyone...our schedule is so crazy that we don't even get the same class as everyone else! Bummer!