Thursday, November 10, 2011

Parent Teacher Conference Time

Yes, it is that magical time of year when we get to go and hear how great our children are.
I always love hearing (from people not related to them) how smart and wonderful my kids are.
I am always thinking it, but, to be fair, I am pretty biased.
So when an impartial observer says great things about my kids, I feel like I have done something right.
However, I do have on worry.
Both of the kids graded in the "Advanced" criteria.
(For those of you unfamiliar with this grading, the options are A-Advanced, P-Appropriate Development, B-can't remember what this means, BB-Below Basic)
Now, where do we go from here?
Caden's teacher had a plan, which I like.  She said that he will start to do "Enrichment" activities that will be different than what the rest of the class does. 
She has a plan so that he can continue learning new things, and not get bored while the rest of the class does the curriculum.
Ciara's teacher had no such plan.
I asked about it (especially for math, since they are still adding simple numbers) and she did say she would send home some extra sheets that are "optional."
OK, but where is the plan to keep her advancing, and not just staying in the same place?
Where is the challenge?
I worry because things come a little too easy for her, and she doesn't have to try.
I want her to learn to work for things, not to give up if it is hard.
She won't be learning that at school apparently.
Yes, I know that this is not a real worry.
They are both doing very well in school, and for that I am grateful.
I just want to make sure they are working hard, and not just coasting though.

1 comment:

Amy Jo Bugenhagen said...

I just had this conversation with Amy A. I know home schooling is not an option for everyone but this is why so many women do it. The public school is focused on the BB level then the B then P then THE A leaving those advanced children to either fend for themselves or be bored all day l ong. I hate the idea of seperating children out into different classes but the least they can do is have EXTRA enrichment papers/activities for them.
ON the up side...your kids are smart and that's a good thing. :)