Friday, September 28, 2012

Children Are Not Stamps

I have blogged about this before, but it has been brought to my attention again, so I felt the need to address it again.

Yes, I am a Mormon.
And, yes, I have only 2 children.
I can hear all the gasps of surprise:
 (What?  Only 2?  You  must not be a very good Mormon if you only have 2 kids.)
Or perhaps you feel bad for me, think that I may have had infertility issues.
No, the 2 kids were by choice.
(However, since we have not tried for a third, I have no idea if we could even have another.  Perhaps there are infertility issues and I just don't know about them.)
Do I not like children?
I actually love them, ESPECIALLY babies.  
Adore them. 
Can't get enough of them.
So why just 2?
This has been a decision that my husband and I made together.
(With a lot of prayer involved)
In the church that I belong to, it is very easy to feel inadequate with my small family.
Sitting in church on Sunday surrounded by families with 5 or 6 young kids (and more), reading blogs that are full of pictures of smiling, usually blonde, families with 6, 7, 8 kids.
It usually doesn't bother me, basically because I know that these families did not choose to have all those kids just to make me feel inadequate.  
I assume they (the husband and wife) talked and prayed about it like my husband and I did.
But when I hear people say that it is our job (as wives) to have as many kids as possible, I get kind of upset.
NO, that is NOT my job.
I am not a baby machine.
And my uterus is not a clown car.
My job is to raise the babies that come into my home in righteousness.
Any idiot can make a baby (and let's face it, a LOT of idiots do), but it takes a lot more to RAISE that baby.
The title of this post comes from this talk.  
"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps."
I do find children cute (especially my own), and it has been hard to realize that cuteness is not a good enough reason (for me, at least) to have more.


1 comment:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You are right...and yes those darn kids ARE cuter than stamps....way cuter. I'LL never be able to think about your uterus without thinking "clown car" now however! ;)