Monday, April 15, 2013

Vacation?

With summer approaching, I am starting to think of the summer trips that we could possibly take.
Since we have moved to PA, the kids and I have made the trek back to SLC every summer.
This has been getting more and more expensive every year.
I used to be able to find ticket for under $400 (as long as we drove to Baltimore or Philly), but now I can't find anything under $500.  
So, for the 4 of us to just fly to SLC, it will be over $2000.
I have been doing some research on other vacation options, and we could do a lot of different things with that money.
After talking about it for a while, Rocky and I realized that we haven't had a vacation with just the 4 of us in a long time.
Or ever, for that matter.
Every time we go somewhere, it is with other family members.
(Not that I am complaining, we always have a great time with everyone!)
And then (to my utter shock and amazement) Rocky suggested we go back to Disney.
(If you know my husband at all, you will understand what a shock this is.  I thought he would HATE Disney World the first time we went, but apparently he had a good enough time to want to return within a year.)
We could plan a decent Disney trip with the $2000 saved from not going to SLC.
I even found flights from HARRISBURG to Orlando for $130 round trip.
Or we could even drive.
Ahhhh, the possibilities.
I know our families will be upset if we don't visit.
And I will be sad not to see everyone.
But when we moved out here, we specifically talked about how we didn't want every vacation we took to be visiting our families in the west.
We wanted to take the opportunities we had on the east to explore.
And we have done some exploring (NYC, Baltimore, Washington DC, Philadelphia).
But at what point do we stop using all of our vacation money to visit family?
(Just so we are clear, our family does visit us pretty regularly.  My parents have been up once this year, and are returning in a few weeks, and Rocky's parents were just here for Easter.  It is extended family, and siblings that we don't get to see that often.  My kids only have 2 cousins, and if we don't visit, they will only get to see them once this year.)
We are also planning a trip to Williamsburg, VA to see some friends, and to hopefully visit the beach.
And then our Thanksgiving trip with family to St. John.
So maybe that should be enough vacations for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just my 2 cents: I grew up in Colorado and ALL of our vacations were back to Utah to visit family. While I know family is important I hated it. I hated that I had never been ANYWHERE expect Utah and Colorado. We never had money to go anywhere else after our yearly trip to Utah. Sadly, when you move away, your little ones don't know what (or who) they are missing. So going "home" is not the same for them. Tay and I just last year took our first "just us" vacay and it was awesome. A must. More important, in my opinion, than the trip back west every year.