Monday, May 6, 2013

Soccer

Yes, it's soccer season again.
With both kids playing on different teams (and different age groups), this time of the year can get pretty crazy with all the games and practices.
Luckily, Caden will be giving up soccer next year.
Ciara, on the other hand, LOVES soccer.
No, she is not good at it in any way.
Ciara is by FAR one of the least coordinated players on her team.
She is also the smallest.
But I think one of the reasons she loves it so much is because of her coaches and teammates.
Let me tell you about Saturday's game:
We started out slowly, but by the 3rd quarter had built up a decent lead.
For the 4th quarter, Coach Fred put Ciara out front and told everyone to pass it to her so she could score a goal.
Any time another player had the ball, all the girls on the bench would yell, "Pass it to Ciara!"
Even the girls on the field would yell with them.
And they would pass it to Ciara.
And she would try her hardest to score.
She never did.
But that didn't stop the girls from passing it to her.
Someone from the other team tripped her at one point, and they gave us a goal kick.
Even though there were many he could have picked to take the shot (and many who had a better chance at actually MAKING the shot), Coach Fred told Ciara to take it.
Again, no goal.
But no one minded (at least, not outwardly.  I am sure some of them were groaning on the inside).
They still continued to feed Ciara the ball for the rest of the game.
She never did score, but she was so proud that she ALMOST scored.
And I, being the emotional wuss that I am, tried not to cry as I heard all the girls cheering for my daughter.
During the fall season, we had a similar experience.
One of our better players (Maddie) told Ciara where to stand.
She then said that she would pass the ball to Ciara so she could score.
And even though it took about 20 tries, Ciara finally scored.
So, I just want to express my gratitude for Coach Fred and Coach Adam who have made my daughter love soccer.  And for all the Paw Prints who have helped build her confidence.
I am so sad that we won't be able to play next year with you all (Coach Fred and Coach Adam will only be doing club).
If club weren't so competitive, I would consider having Ciara play there just to stay with her team.
For now, we will just enjoy our last weeks with the best team ever!

No comments: