Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After

I usually try to stay away from politics, but in light of the recent election, I feel the need to stop being objective, and just be opinionated.  After all, this is my blog.  My opinion is very welcome here.  
Yes, I am an Obama fan.  Or, an Obama Mama as we are also known.  This is the first election where the candidate I have voted for has won.  (Some of you may remember a previous post where I said I was unable to vote.  Luckily, Rocky voted my opinions, since he didn't have one of his own.  So when I say that I voted, I mean that he voted for me.  I still feel like I somewhat participated.)  The only other elections I have had the opportunity to vote in have been Bush elections, and I am proud to say that I never voted for him.  (The last Clinton election occurred right after I turned 18, but again because of the 30 registration rule, I was unable to vote.)  
There were also historical moments to this election.  First, as you all are aware, the first African-American to be president.  Some of you may think, "So what?"  But I believe this has opened up new possibilities to so many youth today.  Any child will now believe it is possible to be President, no matter what their race.  What this election means to me I can sum up in one word: Hope.  I feel hopeful.  No, I cannot guarantee that Obama will be a stellar President, but I am hopeful.  
I did enjoy the speeches last night.  McCain gave a great speech conceding the election to Obama.  And I of course enjoyed Obama's speech as well.  For the first time in a long time (8 years to be exact) I will not feel the need to turn off the TV when the President speaks.  I will, however, miss SNL's portrayal of Bush.  I will also miss Tina Fey, aka Sarah Palin.  The skits with her had to be some of the best I have seen in a long time (right above Will Ferrel as George W.).  
OK, no more politics.  We have almost a foot of snow.  I couldn't make it up our driveway.  And it still hasn't stopped.  What is going on?  I guess winter has arrived.  

1 comment:

Julie said...

I adore Obama - and I'm a LIBERTARIAN!! But I really think he's geniune and will try and reduce all the petty partisian politics. I hope he'll get us back on track and focus on the ideals that made our country strong - the CONSTITUTION . . . really, I hope he steps up responsibility in this country, puts an end to the war, and shows the "good ol boys club" what's truly important. I feel just like you - FINALLY - a president I can respect!!! I hope he can stay strong and really make some changes in Washington. My wish is that he appoints Ron Paul to his cabinet - then i'll really be smiling big :-).