Monday, September 27, 2010

Business Idea

If you haven't met me, I should start this out by saying that I am kind of a neurotic cleaner and organizer.  I can't rest or relax if things are not put away and clean. 
 It is just how I am.  It is hereditary; my mom has it and so does my sister. 
 Growing up, I thought this was just how everyone was.  I thought everyone got grounded for leaving towels on the floor. 
Then as grew, I noticed that not everyone's house is that way. 
Most people are relatively neat, but not as crazy as my family.  As an adult, I know that my house is cleaner than most, but also accept the fact that I am the crazy one.  I don't care how other people keep their own house.  I just choose to keep mine a certain way.
These last couple weeks, I have had the opportunity to help my friend organize certain rooms of her house.  And the craziest part is that I REALLY enjoy doing it. 
During one of our sessions, she suggested that I create my own business to organize other people houses, or even businesses I guess.
That got me thinking.
Could I actually do that?
I get stuck on the logistics of it.  How do I tell people that I am qualified to do that?  If you know me, you might appreciate my anal qualities, but how do I explain that to strangers?
She suggested taking before and after pictures.  And then starting a website. 
Does anyone else have an opinion?  Could this actually work?  Are there enough people out there who would pay for my help?

6 comments:

amanda scott said...

People will definitely pay for this sevice. Before and after pics may be enough of a resume for some but you could also provide references. Part of it is not just getting organized but having a system in place to stay that way. That's what you can do for others. You'd be so great at this!

SandGs Mom said...

i have a friend in tulsa who does it. I think that referrals is how you get started...

Brandi Colby said...

This is so funny!! I have been trying to get your sister to do this EXACT thing since I met her. I think you just have to start small... do friends, family, etc. Get lots of referrals and do lots of before and after pictures. I am not naturally gifted in this area so people like you and Lori are a God-send, and I wish there were more people out there that did it.

Julie said...

YES - i am living proof that people will pay for that service!! I wish I had your organizational DNA - I am "surface clean" - which means our house always looks neat, clean, and clutter free . . . until you look in the cupboards and closets - YIKES - so I hired a "professional organizer" to help me get things in order . . . ahhh, after about $500 I had my house feeling good again :-).

Go for it girl!!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

YOu could TOTALLY do that! And you should...Start with my house!

Anonymous said...

God bless you if you pull this off. You are an inspiration to Mormons and obsessive-compulsive types out there. I think of maids as mostly Spanish types andI laugh at the idea of a Mormon doing this, but who the hell knows, it may be crazy enough to work. Again, best of luck!