Friday, October 8, 2010

Seriously?

What was your worst birthday? 
Mine was yesterday.  I have never had a bad birthday.  So I guess it was about time. 
But, seriously? 
That morning was pretty normal, waking up with the kids, getting ready for school. 
I have to admit, I was a little peeved that Rocky didn't volunteer to take care of it all since it was my birthday.
And then the obligatory phone call from the parents to wish me happy birthday. 
That's when it happens.
"Um, honey, we have some bad news."
My grandma died. 
She had a heart attack earlier in the week, so I knew this was a possibility, but to find out first thing on the morning of your birthday kind of puts a damper on the rest of the day.
I have lost both of my grandmothers in the last 6 months, and since we have moved so FREAKING far away, I have not been able to make it to either funeral. 
Now, besides mourning my grandmother, I also have to deal with the guilt of not attending the funeral. 
I know it is OK, my family all understand (at least they tell me they do) but I still feel guilty.
I should be there with my family. 
But I can't.
I was asked to send some stories of my grandma to my mom, and here are some of those:
She loved to tell people the story of when she watched my when my sister was born.  Apparently, I was horrible and hid under a booth at McDonald's and refused to come out.  Also, when she took me to the nursery to see my sister, I told her I didn't want that baby (she was way too red) and picked out an African American baby to take home instead.
She also loved her cats just a little too much.  My mom got after her once because the cats were licking the butter on the table.  Grandma tried to explain that her cats were like her kids, and we share with our kids.  My mom didn't buy that and replied with, "Mom, my kids don't like their butts."
She loved her kids and grandkids a lot.  I always felt loved and special around her. 
She will be missed.
I hope this is the worst birthday I will ever have.

1 comment:

Al said...

I'm so sorry, Nici.