Sunday, October 31, 2010

Holy Halloween!

Last night was Trick-or-Treating here in Selinsgrove. 
For some reason, they assign a night and a time for this celebration. 
(Yes, I know it sounds strange, but I LOVED having a time limit, because we were done at 8pm, and had no one come after that.) 

This year, I decided to give out juice boxes (or Capri Sun pouches).  I had purchased 200 in preparation for this night.  I had been told by some people that the street we live on is THE place for trick-or-treaters, and I thought 200 was a good estimate. 

I was SO wrong.

Trick-or-Treating was scheduled to start at 6pm.  Right on the dot, the doorbell began to ring. 
 I saw lots of cute costumes, and people were THRILLED with the juice boxes, even the teenagers. 
I never had time to shut the door, the kids just kept coming. 
At 6:50, I was down to my last juice box. 
Yes, 200 kids in less than an hour.
SERIOUSLY??
I panicked for a bit, then remembered the candy the kids have been accumulating from previous Halloween parties.  I ran and grabbed a bucket full of their candy.
I started to hand out the candy one Tootsie Roll at a time.
It sucked to go from hearing exclaims of delight (Cool!  A juice box!  Thanks!) to a barely audible "thank you."
Even then, I ran out of candy at about 7:20.  Luckily, a friend of mine showed up in the nick of time with a car full of candy from a Trunk-or-Treat.  She immediately brought me some candy from her car which lasted until 7:45, at which time a turned off the light.  (It was scheduled to finish at 8, so I didn't feel too bad about shutting down 15 minutes early).
When Rocky got home, he told me that our street was by far the busiest.  There were hardly any people on the streets just one block up and down from us. 
We had a band on our street, and the police were our keeping an eye on everything and handing out glow sticks to all the kids.  It was quite the event.

I have a small gripe about some of the trick-or-treaters. 
If you are not old enough to hold your own bag, then you are not old enough to ask for candy.  I couldn't believe the amount of parents with babies that were getting candy for them.  I know the babies aren't going to be eating it.

Next year, I will be purchasing 300 juice boxes, and then turning off my light when they are gone.  I am pretty sure we saw over 400 kids, but I really don't want to have to buy 400 juice boxes (or even pieces of candy for that matter).  We will see how it goes!

No comments: