Monday, October 3, 2011

Helping Hands

A friend of mine had a small emergency recently and called to request my help.
I could tell by her voice that she was desperate, and she struggled with asking me for help, presumably because she didn't want to intrude, or ruin my evening.
It was really a simple request, one that I was able and very willing to do.
But I understand her struggle.
Living far away from family, you have to do a lot more on your own.
When you have a husband that travels, or works long hours, as well as being far away from family, you really are on your own so much more.
You have to be able to rely on friends.
As a friend myself, I understand the hesitation to ask for help.
I feel guilty any time I have to do it.
But when I am asked to help, I feel flattered.
Flattered because that means that whoever is asking for the help is comfortable enough, and likes me enough, to ask me specifically.
Yes, I am making their crisis about me.
But, I am also hoping to remove some of the guilt that one may feel in asking for help.
So don't feel guilty.
Know that I am secretly pleased because you like me.
You really like me.
:)

No comments: