Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Spirit

Last night I watched the swimming.  That race is one of the reasons I love the Olympics.  For those of you that missed it, you missed an incredible race.  It was the men's relay race, and the French were favored to win.  They were so much favored that they started to do some trash talking before the race.  During the last leg of the race, it looked as though the French had the race already won.  The US was about 1/2 a body length behind.  But somehow, in the last few moments, the US caught up and won.  It was much more exciting watching it than trying to explain it.  But watching someone (especially the US) come from behind to win is just plain exciting.  I know that many love the Olympics, myself included.  But for me, the Olympics is something more.  Growing up, we moved a lot.  So when people ask, "Where are you from?" I don't really have an answer.  Many of you with hometowns have certain affinities for the local sports teams.  But having no hometown, I have really not had the opportunity to latch on to a certain team.  We lived out of the country a lot of the time, and then my hometown became the whole of the States.  It didn't really matter which state, but I was just identified as "American" or gringa (when we were in South America).  The Olympics gives me an opportunity to root for the only team I feel any loyalty to: the USA.  As far as local teams, I do favor some over others (Broncos, the U) but I don't feel as connected to them as I do the whole country when it competes with the rest of the world.  So go USA, and I look forward to the rest of the games.  
Quote:
"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."

8 comments:

Callister said...

I'm dissapointed that I didn't see that relay race last night. I love what the Olympics mean to you. My husband made fun of me for loving the Olympics and I had to explain to him what it meant to me. (World Unity, friendship, love, humility, sportsmanship, etc. in a time of worldwide upheavel.) He finally got it, but still doesn't feel as intense about it as me. Remember the N'Sync concert we went to during the Winter Olympics? Great times!

LoriLoo310 said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh **waves hand in the air** me, me, me!! I know what movie it's from.

Brandi said...

Of course Lolipop loo knows. Argh. I have no idea though teach... call on her.

Nici said...

Hell yeah I remember N'SYNC!!!! And I am hoping to go NKOTB this November as well . . .

SandGs Mom said...

I don't know what movie that is from...sounds vaguely familiar. What is it Loo?

LoriLoo310 said...

It's from The Godfather. Ok, I have a movie quote now:
"Mmmm-hmmm! This is a tasty burger!"

Nici said...

Pulp Fiction

Brandi Colby said...

HAHA Nice quote Loo... Ab says that ALLLLLLL the time.