Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Random Topics

I typed up this really long post last night, which has since disappeared.  Great.  And I just got back from the dentist, which ALWAYS puts me in a good mood.  I think the weather is affecting me.  What is up with the snow?  I know, I am in Utah, and these random spring snows are to be expected.  But that doesn't mean I have to like it.  
So Saturday night I got a call from some one saying the Bishop wanted to meet with me.  I knew what this meant: calling.  I guess I had it coming.  We have been here for 1 year, and they haven't had us do anything yet.  So I was OK with it.  However, the only opening I knew of was in the Nursery.  (For those of you that don't know, nursery is where the kids 18 months to 3 years get to hang out while all the adults get to go to Sunday School.)  Since I just got one kid "graduated" from nursery, and another one still in it, this is one calling I really didn't want.  So all night long, I prayed: "Please, God, anything but the nursery."  Lo and behold, Sunday comes, and I am sitting in the Bishop's office, and he says, "Nici, we would like to call you to be in the . . ." and I swear, time paused for just one minute before he finished the sentence.  And yes, it did finish with the word "nursery."  My head dropped, and all the air escaped from my lungs.  I did think about saying no.  I was seriously going to.  But then I decided that it could be worse, and it really isn't so bad hanging out with all the boys (our nursery has only boys in it at the present time).  So I said yes.  Then, about 30 seconds before Sacrament meeting starts, one of the counselors approaches me and says, "The bishop was wrong, it isn't nursery, it is primary."  (Explanation: Primary is the kid version of Sunday school, for kids age 4+).  Well, my mother-in-law is sitting next to me, and under her breath, she is disagreeing with the counselor.  (She is on the Primary Presidency, and pretty much likes to act like she knows everything.)  After he leaves, she says, "I am pretty sure you are going to be put in the nursery.  I don't know why he told you primary."  So the meeting continues, church finishes as usual, and then afterwards, my know-it-all mother-in-law changes her tune and says, "I think you are going to be in primary after all."  I am still unsure as to what exactly I am going to do, but I will be thrilled if it isn't nursery.  
Ciara has really been into "Enchanted" lately.  I found the soundtrack on iTunes, and we made a cd for her.  I just love to listen to her sing in the car.  She really belts out the songs.  Even if she doesn't know the words, she will just sing whatever.  And Caden tries to join in, and to hear his deep little voice try to sing is just too cute.  I need to record them singing.

5 comments:

Natalie Jo said...

i know how you feel. the primary president keeps asking what my calling is and making sure I am not available. (i am a sunday school teacher to the 15 year olds) think i am safe for nursery since the women in there want to be there. we have a wierd thing where people volunteer for nursery. i think they like the snacks.

SandGs Mom said...

I would love to see them singing. That'd be adorable.

Nicole said...

primary...how fun. a no stress calling (I can say that because I just came from RS and I am currently calling-less until we are settled in a new ward)

Brandi said...

Primary?... My friend Katie and her husband were "called" into primary last week too... crazy.

Have fun with that....
Btw.. I am SOOO glad Ciara likes her new movie :)

Nici said...

OK, even Caden picked Enchanted to watch today. And since we made that CD, that is all I listen to in the car with them. It is running through my head constantly.