Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Daydreams

The other day, I started to think about how I got to be where I am.  Growing up, I imagined what my life would be like.  It has turned out (almost) better than I imagined.  However, I sometimes like to imagine what would have happened if . . . 
What if I had decided not to go to college in the States, and had stayed in Colombia for college?  This is a pretty random thought, since there was no way that would have happened.  I would have fallen in love with a Colombian, and lived the good life there.  I would have a maid, driver, lived in a great apartment, had someone to watch the kids, been a member of the Club.  Plus, my kids would be bilingual.  Sounds good, right?  Well, there are some other things I would have had to give up.  When we lived there, there were many married men who seemed to be under the impression that they were allowed to have girlfriends.  I know that not all Colombian men are this way, etc.  However, this did seem to be pretty acceptable (the ex-pats sometimes adopted this as well).  I don't think I could deal with that.  I am much better off being with the love of my life (or my soulmate as the psychic said) than with all the other stuff.  I do still miss Colombia, and miss the excitement of being in a big city.  I do like to complain about Utah (who doesn't) but I think I will keep what I have got.  I have never thought that my life would be better if anything changed, but I like to daydream about different things.  After all the daydreams, I am always grateful for everything I have (and don't have).  Does anyone else daydream about what might have been, or am I just crazy?

2 comments:

Beebs said...

Oh I do this often! I thought I was the only one. But I'm like you, grateful for where I am instead of what I would have been!

Nici said...

Good, I am glad I am not alone!